Helichrysum Essential Oil
|Botanical Name: Helichrysum Gymnocephalum/Italicum/splendidum
Common Method of Extraction: Steam Distilled
Part Typically Used: Flowers
Color: Light Yellow
Perfumery Note: Base
Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium – Strong
Aromatic Description: Fresh, earthy, herbaceous.
Helichrysum Oil Uses: Abscesses, acne, boils, burns, cuts, dermatitis, eczema, irritated skin, wounds, wounds. Helichrysum is often used to prevent signs of aging and referred to as “The Everlasting Flower” because of its rejuvenating benefits for the skin and ability to improve the complexion.
Helichrysum gymnocephalum is a flowering plant in the sunflower family (Asteraceae) found in Madagascar. It is used locally for its alleged aphrodisiac, antiseptic, and stimulant properties, and also as a treatment for bronchitis. The essential oil is sold internationally for these same purposes. This oil mostly consists of 1,8-Cineole, the organic compound Eucalyptol, which may account for these properties.
Helichrysum Gymnocephalum essential oil is anti-inflammatory, analgesic, antiseptic used for cuts, wounds, bruises, ulcers, herpes, rheumatism, gingivitis, pyorrhea, gastritis, sore throat, reverses hearing loss, and typhoid fever. Helichrysum Gymnocephalum essential oil induces menstruation, aids painful menstruation and headaches, and induces milk formation.
- Analgesic: reduces pain by acting in various ways on the central nervous system and peripheral nervous system.
- Anti-asthmatic: provides some form of relief in asthma
- Anti-bacterial: kills or slows the growth of bacteria
- Anti-spasmosdic: prevents or relieves muscle spasms
- Anti-infectious: aids in reducing or suppressing infection
- Anti-inflammatory: reduces inflammation
- Anti-microbial: kills or inhibits the growth of microorganisms such as bacteria, fungi or protozoans.
- Anti-rheumatic: relieves pain or reduces pain associated with immobilizing disorders and complaints of the musculoskeletal system.
- Anti-septic: reduces the possibility of infection of living tissue
- Anti-viral: useful for treating viral infections
- Aphrodisiac: increases sexual desire
- Decongestant: relieves nasal congestion in the upper respiratory tract
- Expectorant: clears mucus from the lungs, bronchi, and trachea by increasing the amount of secretions which lubricate the respiratory tract.
- Hypotensive: lowers blood pressure
- Immune support: aids in the functioning of the immune system
- Mucolytic: reduces mucus buildup in the lungs to help improve breathing
- Stimulant: increases the levels of physiological or nervous activity in the body
- Apply topically to reduce the appearance of blemishes.
- Apply to the face to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and to promote a glowing, youthful complexion.
- Massage into the temples and the back of the neck for a soothing sensation.
Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the diffuser of your choice.
Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area. Dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil to minimize any skin sensitivity.