Shitaki is the most gourmet of the fresh mushrooms cultivated around the world. Shitake mushrooms have all the essential amino acids (9) in a higher, more condensed proportion than soy beans, meat, milk or eggs. They provide us with essential vitamins and minerals, among them A,B, B12, C, D and Niacin. They are valued both for their flavor as well as their medicinal benefits.
Shitake mushrooms‘ medicinal benefits include:
- They reduce cholesterol
- They strengthen the immune system
- They reduce high blood pressure
- They cure liver diseases
- They diminish the possibility of colds and flu
- They induce the formation of interferon (chemical substance that immunizes cells to virus infections)
- They reduce tumors
- There are clinical studies that prove they have a positive effect against AIDS.
- The button of the Shitake mushroom has a smooth and spongy texture. Shiitake mushrooms taste better if they are cooked, and they adapt easily to most culinary techniques. They add a meaty sensation to pasta, soups, appetizers, entrées and supplementary dishes. Healthy and nutritious, Shitake mushrooms have the main nutritional qualities to be considered and served as a main dish.
- Currently Shitake mushrooms constitute one of the main protein sources in Japan, China and several countries in the pacific.